Last time we discussed how to best give criticism. Now it’s time to get to the really fun stuff: how to receive criticism well. Our talk was inspired by Courtney Seiter’s The Art And Science Of Giving And Receiving Criticism At Work.
It’s never fun to hear about what you’re doing wrong, but if you are open to feedback and have colleagues willing to be open and honest, you’ll be on the fast track to serious improvement!
Here’s how to prepare for criticism and receive it well:
- Ask for feedback often – Open communication is key to creating positive change, and you’ll have more opportunities to improve your skills!
- Ask for time to reflect on what you’ve heard, one element at a time – Your first reaction may be to put up your heavy defenses. Instead, evaluate what you’ve heard and formulate a thoughtful response.
- Cultivate a growth mindset vs. a fixed mindset – Your skills aren’t set in stone. You can always learn and grow!
- Take responsibility for your mistakes and learn from them in order to grow – It’s OK to take a loss or make a mistake. Just make sure you learn from the experience so you’re better off from it!
Check out the videos we found below which deal with receiving criticism/feedback.
Sheila Heen (above) suggests the receiver is in charge because they determine how or if they will change. What if we stop looking for good givers of criticism and hone our skill of sifting through criticism to grow?
Who can you ask to provide some open and honest criticism of your performance?
New Exercise.com for Business Features
- You can now create your own Workout Plan Objectives.
- You can now cancel a Client’s subscription but keep them on your Client roster.
- You can now copy an entire group, including videos and resources.
- You can now view more Reports on your Business Dashboard.
- You can now sell products to offer as additional resources for Groups.
- You can now disable automatic “New Follower” notifications.
Train Anyone, Anywhere in the World.
- Updated display of landing pages
- Updated handling of subscription upgrades
- Updated handling of custom Health Info fields
- Update handling of SSL certificates
- Updated handling first page viewed after login
- Updated Workout Plan privacy settings manager
- Updated handling of Coupon Codes on Upgrade form
- Updated display of Discussion tab on Group pages
- Updated handling of re-sending Client Invite emails
- Updated Workout Plans to improve load times on Trainer Dashboard
- Updated handling of Platform customization options
- Updated “Edit” link on Dashboard: Groups card view
- Updated handling of Health Info fields shared by Trainers & Sub-Trainers
- Updated display of settings for time-released Workout Plans
- Updated timing of “New Workout Plan Available” notifications
- Updated handling of scheduled workouts on Journal view
- Updated selectors and dropdown menus sitewide
- Updated loading for Finder views
- Updated display of “Successful Charge” notifications
- Updated handling of “Click Here to Edit” links for empty Workout Days in Workout Plan Creator
- Updated Time Zone settings for Group Signups
- Clients will now receive the “Scheduled Workout” email alert at the same time each morning.
- Updates for Block Programming
We’ve got an expert team that’s partnered with some the best fitness professionals around the world. Schedule a call with our team. Get started today!