In our last team meeting, we discussed the way people think — particularly when it comes to hearing something new.
In particular, we delved into Oren Klaff’s Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal where he discusses how to present new info in a pitch and dealing with “Crocodile Brain.”
A great pitch is not about procedure. It’s about getting and keeping attention.
If you ever have to make a sales pitch (Hint: You definitely will!), you need to get past your potential customer’s “Crocodile Brain” (the initial filtering of the incoming message) to have any chance of closing the sale!
How to Get Past the Crocodile Brain
- Recognize the limited focus and capacity of the Crocodile Brain – Up to 90 percent of your message will be discarded before it’s passed to the other “parts” of the brain!
- Bring something new to the table – Even just a fresh point of view can be enough! Unless your message is presented in such a way that the Crocodile Brain views it to be new and exciting, it is most likely going to be ignored.
- Simplify, simplify, simplify! – If your message is complicated, contains abstract language, and lacks visual cues, there’s a good chance it will be perceived as a threat. Threats do not = sales!
You can know everything about your subject and still not be convincing — especially if you’re shut down by the Crocodile Brain!
New Exercise.com for Business Features
- You can now re-send Client Invite emails.
- The Client Invite email will now include your client’s first name if you include it on the invite form.
- New Clients invited to the platform will have their email address auto-filled on the signup form.
- You can now fill out and submit assessments for your clients while logged in to your Trainer account.
- New Customization options for Assessments
Train Anyone, Anywhere in the World.
- Updated handling of Client Tags
- Updated display of Tags on Group Videos
- Updated display of Workout Plan front end view
- Updated display of Group Resources
- Updated display of Trainer Info page
- Moved Group tabs to sidebar
- Updated handling of Lead Generation Assessments
- Updated handling of SVG uploads
- Updated Checkout form
- Updated handling of Group Discussion posts
- Updated display of scheduling info for Group plans, videos, etc.
- Updated instructions for adding Embed fields to assessments
- Updated handling of Group Video URLs
- Updated handling of Workout Plan Finder
- Updated display of multiple Dashboard list views
- Updates for site performance
- Updated handling of public videos from Vimeo
- Updated handling of deleted Clients
- Updated handling of non-billed Clients who later upgrade to Billed status
- Updated formatting in Messages
- Updated handling of updating Credit Card info
- Updated handling of workout links on Activity stream view
- Updated handling of Image uploads
- Updated display of exercise thumbnails
- Updated display of Workout Plan Publish Settings
- Updated handling of uploads on Assessments
- Updates for Block Programming