Our brains tend to do two things when we receive criticism:
- Our brains view criticism as a threat to our survival.
- We remember criticism strongly but inaccurately.
With that in mind, here’s how to offer criticism in the best way possible:
- Reflect on the purpose of your criticism – Make sure it’s coming from the right place, such as guidance or support that’s in the recipient’s best interest.
- Focus on the behavior, not the person – This helps to separate the problem from the recipient’s identity, so it’s more likely to be received well (see the video below).
- Lead with questions – This way the recipient can be involved in the discussion instead of just receiving a lecture.
- Follow the Rosenberg method: Observations, Feelings, Needs, Requests – This gives you a simple framework to reduce the feeling of confrontation in the conversation — see the overview here.
This structure will help your criticism be received well and also furthers the best interest of the recipient. How can you implement this approach when dealing with your clients? Next time, we’ll talk about the best way to receive criticism!
New Exercise.com for Business Features
- You can now add Tags so customers can filter any Resources on a Group page.
- You can now enable Messaging for customers who purchase a Workout Plan.
- You can now set up time-released Workout Plans for individual Clients.
- You can now add automatic scoring to your Assessments.
Train Anyone, Anywhere in the World.
- Updated handling of “Change Schedule” option for current Workout Plan
- Updated display of Group menu options
- Updated display of Dashboard: My Stuff
- Updated display of Workout Plan Status on Dashboard: Workout Plans view
- Updated handling of links embedded in Group Descriptions
- Updated display of published settings for calendar-based Workout Plans
- Updated handling of Workout Plans saved as Drafts
- New Accounts will now automatically sync Time Zone settings based on browser settings
- Updated display of Landing Pages
- Updated display of Exercise videos on Journal views
- Update handling of searches on Group pages
- Updated handling of image uploads on Assessments
- Optimized PDFs for better loading
- Updated some sync settings with Partner Apps
- Updates for Block Programming