There are some instances where it is safe for children to consume whey protein powder. However, this should first be discussed with the child’s doctor or pediatrician. Also, the type of whey protein supplement used should be researched thoroughly.
There are some cases where supplementation with whey protein can be beneficial for those children who are sick.
A study featured by the National Center for Biotechnology Information shows that those children with HIV can benefit from the addition of whey protein in their diet.
A healthy diet and regular movement are essential for a growing body. Sign up for a PRO plan today for access to kid-friendly workout plans.
Who Can Benefit From Whey Protein?
Many people believe that whey protein is just used by bodybuilders and athletes. This is untrue. Whey protein can be beneficial for many people.
Vegetarians can benefit from the use of whey protein. Children, men, and women can all benefit from whey as well. Those who are elderly have shown improved health by whey protein supplementation.
Those who have diets lacking in the proper amount of protein can supplement with whey. People who are recovering from an injury or illness have shown positive results with whey protein as well as those who have a compromised immune system.
Why Is Whey Protein Beneficial for Children?
Protein is essential for the growing body, and children’s bodies grow at a fast rate. When used appropriately, whey protein can be effective and a simple way of adding protein to a child’s diet.
Most children do not get the proper nutrition they need, even if they eat healthily. By adding whey protein in their diets they will have the increased energy that protein provides to the body.
How Much Whey Protein Should Be Given to a Child?
Whey protein can be consumed by children, but overconsumption can be unhealthy. One of the concerns with children using whey protein is potential weight gain.
When a child consumes more protein then they can handle they tend to gain weight and store the extra protein as body fat. Another concern with the overconsumption of whey protein is the potential to inhibit certain amounts of vitamins and other nutrients consumed by the child.
From four to eight years of age, protein intake should be increased to 19 grams per day. Those who are teenagers need more. Teenage girls should take around 46 grams and teenage boys should consume 56 grams.
When supplementing with whey protein, these amounts should be taken into consideration. You can supplement with whey protein as long as it doesn’t exceed a child’s recommended amount of daily protein.
Get More Out of Your Health and Fitness Routine. Go PRO!Sign Up
Are There Types of Whey Protein That Should Be Avoided?
There are several whey protein supplement brands on the market today. Many of those products are specifically designed for individuals who are bodybuilders or athletes. Because of this, the products are geared towards the adult population.
Before purchasing a product make sure it’s designed either specifically for children or for adults and children. Those whey protein products that are specifically designed for children contain the proper amount of protein and other nutrients that are ideal.
Is Whey Protein Safe?
In most cases, whey protein is safe for consumption. It is derived from cow’s milk, a protein source most children already consume.
Whey protein is about 80% casein protein and the other 20% is the same protein found in milk. However, those children who are allergic to milk or who are lactose intolerant may not be able to consume whey protein.
Interestingly enough, the common ingredient that is found in many baby formulas is whey protein. Whey protein is used in these formulas because of its beneficial ingredients and safety.
What Are Some Other Benefits of Whey Protein?
Whey protein can be essential for supporting immunity in a person’s body. The contributing factor for this is the increased production of glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant that whey protein helps the body produce more of.
Whey protein is also great for wound healing. When the body is trying to heal itself it requires amino acids and proteins. This is especially important in aiding the production of new skin growth.
Research has also shown that whey protein improves illnesses such as heart disease and stroke. This is because whey protein can reduce blood pressure. Blood pressure is one of the leading causes of both stroke and heart disease.
Exercise is beneficial to incorporate with whey protein supplementation. Go PRO today for kid-friendly workout plans, training logs, and more.