- Getting the most from your weight training depends on what your goal is.
- To get the most out of your weight training program, you are going to need to set a goal.
- Resting is an important part of weight training to prevent permanent injury.
People who start weight training do so because they want to lose weight or build muscle as quickly as possible.
To get the most out of your weight training program, you are going to need to set a goal.
Once you do that, everything you do needs to be about that goal, from the foods that you eat to the type of exercise that you try to perform.
For a weight training program that will help you reach your goals, sign up for a PRO plan today.
What If I Want My Weight Training to Be About Gaining Muscle?
There have been a lot of opinions over the years as to the best way to bulk up fast; however, today there seems to be a general consensus about meeting your goals.
- First of all, you need to warm up before you start lifting weights, this will ensure that you don’t injure yourself while lifting weights. Cardio is the best way to get those muscles warm. Spend 10 to 15 minutes doing some light cardio to get your muscles warm.
- Once you have done that, you need to lift heavy! What this means is that you need to lift weights that are heavy enough to stop you from easily banging out 15 repetitions. Studies show that if you do this, you will create microscopic tears in the muscle, which will benefit muscle growth.
- Don’t lift weights that are too heavy; if you do, you will injure yourself. Make sure you can do at least six reps with your weight or else it will defeat the purpose of using heavy weights.
- You also need to ensure that you lift and lower each weight as slowly as possible. The slower you do this, the harder your muscles will work. This will ensure that you benefit faster from your bulking up workout plan.
Once you feel comfortable lifting a certain weight and can hit six reps with ease, it is time to use a heavier weight.
Additionally, while it may seem contradictory, if you want to build muscle, you must rest. Resting is an important part of weight training because if you overwork a muscle you can cause permanent injury. You should work out different muscle groups each day, waiting about 3 days between each muscle group.
For example, you might work your biceps on Monday, triceps on Tuesday, lats on Wednesday and so on. Of course, you can always combine several muscle groups on each day to maximize your workout.
As you work out, if you don’t want to lose weight, you need to ensure that you increase your carbohydrate intake. If you don’t do this, your body will use your muscles to create energy and reduce your muscle mass.
You need to create enough energy to maintain your current body and build a bigger body if that’s your goal!
Get More Out of Your Health and Fitness Routine. Go PRO!
What If I Want My Weight Training to Be About Losing Weight and Not Bulking Up?
If you are interested in losing weight, then you need to increase your cardio routine to at least half an hour a day.
Cardio not only helps your endurance and energy levels, but it also burns calories and aids in a healthy heart!
You can and will lose weight while weight training, but eventually, you will also start building muscle, which will equate to some weight gain. The good news is that this is good weight gain.
- If you don’t want to increase your muscle mass, then you should reduce the amount of weights that you use. Instead of working to bulk up, you are lifting weights to maintain a healthy body.
- You also need to limit your carbohydrate and caloric intake to promote weight loss. You need to ensure that you eat the right foods to maintain your energy levels, but you don’t want to eat in the same manner that you would if you wanted to bulk up.
How Can I Be Sure I’m Not Hurting Myself When I Do My Weight Training?
You will find that your body is very good at telling you if you are doing too much. Some of the aches and pains you feel after a workout are normal.
However, if you have a wrenching pain or become immobilized, then you may have done too much.
One way to avoid injuring yourself is to work with a professional. Personal trainers are trained to help you meet your weight training goals while keeping your body safe.
While not everyone can afford a personal trainer on an ongoing basis. You can hire someone to work with you once or twice to get you started on your program, but that is completely up to you!
For access to weight training workout programs, sign up for an Exercise.com PRO plan today.