How do you write fitness content?
Learning how to write fitness content that gets results for the reader, and for your bank account, is crucial. Here’s how to write amazing fitness content. Bird by bird*. Step by step. Rep by rep. Ready? Let’s start putting in the work.
In today’s world, fitness is no longer just a trend but a way of life. More people are beginning to take their health seriously and this has created a massive demand for fitness content. Whether you are an expert in the fitness industry or just starting, writing compelling articles is an essential skill that you need to master. In this article, we will discuss how to write fitness content that is engaging, informative, accurate, and credible.
If you want to learn how to monetize your fitness content and run an online fitness business with the best software for fitness influencers, the best software for gym management, and the best software for personal trainers, then see why Exercise.com is the best software to run your entire fitness business all in one place. You can sell workout plans online, run online workout groups, start fitness challenges, do online personal training, and more, all from your own custom-branded fitness apps.
Want to get started? Get a demo now!
- Best Fitness Influencer Apps
- Fitness Influencer Tips
- How do fitness influencers make money?
- How do you start a fitness vlog?
*Recommended Reading: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
What is fitness writing?
Fitness writing is a specialized form of writing that focuses on topics related to physical health, exercise, nutrition, wellness, and fitness industry trends. Fitness writers create content for a variety of mediums such as blogs, magazines, books, websites, and social media platforms. The goal is to inform, inspire, and motivate readers to lead healthier lifestyles and make informed decisions about their fitness journeys.
How do I write a successful fitness blog?
Writing a successful fitness blog involves a combination of high-quality content, strategic marketing, and consistency. Here are some steps to follow:
- Know Your Audience: Understand who your readers are, their fitness goals, their challenges, and what information they find valuable.
- Provide Valuable Content: Your blog posts should offer actionable advice, accurate information, and innovative ideas. Use your expertise to guide readers and answer their questions.
- Consistency is Key: Regularly publishing new content keeps your audience engaged and helps with search engine optimization (SEO).
- Engage with Your Readers: Encourage comments, respond to reader questions, and create a sense of community.
- Promote Your Blog: Utilize social media, email newsletters, and SEO strategies to attract new readers.
What do you write in a fitness blog?
In a fitness blog, you could cover a wide range of topics based on your expertise and the interests of your audience. You might write about workout tips, fitness challenges, healthy recipes, fitness gear reviews, personal training advice, success stories, latest research in fitness, and wellness tips.
How can I use Exercise.com to help my fitness business?
Exercise.com is a comprehensive fitness business management platform that can significantly assist in growing your fitness business. Here’s how:
- Custom-Branded Fitness Apps: Exercise.com allows you to launch a custom-branded fitness app for your business. This is a powerful tool for member engagement, offering services, and branding.
- Workout Creation and Delivery: You can create, deliver, track, and scale your fitness offerings, including individual and group workouts, through the platform.
- Ecommerce Opportunities: With Exercise.com, you can monetize your fitness brand further by selling memberships, workout plans, workout challenges, and more.
- Assessment Features: You can utilize the platform’s fitness assessment features to engage clients, track their progress, and personalize their fitness plans.
- Scheduling and Booking: The platform helps you manage your schedule, book sessions, and automate reminders.
- Automation: Exercise.com provides numerous automation features, freeing up your time from administrative tasks and letting you focus more on your clients and content creation.
Exercise.com is not just a tool, it’s a platform that empowers you to reach your fitness business goals.
List of Fitness Content Writing Jobs
- Fitness Blog Writer: This role involves writing engaging blog posts on fitness topics, optimizing them for SEO, and promoting them on various platforms.
- Health and Fitness Copywriter: In this role, you will write compelling copy for fitness brands to use in marketing materials, product descriptions, ads, and more.
- Fitness E-book Writer: This job involves creating comprehensive e-books on fitness topics, such as workout guides, diet plans, and more.
- Fitness Content Strategist: This role includes developing a content strategy for a fitness brand, including planning, creating, and managing content to achieve specific business goals.
- Fitness Curriculum Writer: In this role, you would create educational content and curriculums for fitness courses, classes, or training programs.
- Social Media Content Creator for Fitness Brands: This job involves creating engaging content for fitness brands’ social media channels, including posts, stories, and videos.
- Fitness Magazine Writer or Editor: Here, you would write or edit articles for a fitness magazine, either in print or digital format.
- Fitness Video Script Writer: In this role, you would write scripts for fitness videos, including workout demonstrations, how-to guides, and promotional videos.
- Nutrition Writer: This job involves creating content about diet and nutrition, often tying in with fitness and exercise topics.
- SEO Content Writer for Fitness Websites: This role involves writing fitness content optimized for search engines to increase a website’s visibility.
Please note, most of these jobs require a solid understanding of fitness and health topics, strong writing skills, and often, knowledge of SEO. Some may also require a background in fitness training, nutrition, or a related field.
Benefits of Writing Fitness Content for Your Fitness Business
Writing fitness content can provide a host of benefits to growing your fitness business. Let’s explore some of these:
Establishing Expertise and Credibility: Consistently writing high-quality content allows you to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in the fitness industry, which builds trust with your audience. When potential clients see you as an expert, they’re more likely to trust your services and products.
Improved Visibility and Reach: With proper search engine optimization (SEO), your written content can rank higher on search engines, bringing more traffic to your website. Sharing your content on social media can also extend your reach to potential clients globally.
Engaging Your Community: Fitness content offers an opportunity for your audience to engage with you. They can share your content, comment on it, or ask questions. This engagement can foster a sense of community, increasing customer loyalty.
Education and Value for Clients: Fitness content allows you to provide valuable information to your audience. Whether it’s a blog post about workout techniques, nutrition advice, or tips on recovery, your content can help clients achieve their fitness goals more effectively.
Monetization Opportunities: Once you have a loyal audience, you can monetize your fitness content in various ways, such as sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, selling e-books, or promoting your own services and products. With a platform like Exercise.com, you can sell workout plans, run fitness challenges, create online fitness groups, and even sell fitness memberships through your custom-branded fitness app.
Promoting Your Services and Products: Your written content is an excellent platform to subtly promote your services and products. You can link to your services within your content, introduce new products, or share success stories of clients who used your services.
Building a Personal Brand: Consistently publishing content helps you build a personal brand in the fitness industry. Over time, your unique style, values, and expertise become recognizable, differentiating you from competitors.
By creating compelling fitness content, you are investing in the long-term growth and success of your fitness business.
- How to Make Money Selling Workout Plans Online
- How do you make a workout program and sell it?
- Can you sell workout plans without being certified?
Fitness Content Examples
When it comes to fitness content, the possibilities are vast. Different formats and mediums can engage diverse audiences, while varied topics can cater to unique interests. Here are examples across various formats:
- “The 10 Best Exercises for Building Core Strength”
- “A Beginner’s Guide to Yoga: Poses, Benefits, and Tips”
- “How to Perfect Your Squat Technique”
- “Step-by-Step Guide to Meal Prepping for a Healthy Week”
- A time-lapse video showing the correct way to perform kettlebell swings
- A video series of home workouts, each targeting different muscle groups
- “The Ultimate Guide to Marathon Training”
- “Your 30-Day Guide to Starting a Plant-Based Diet”
- An infographic illustrating the anatomy of a workout, showing what happens to your body during exercise
- An infographic demonstrating the correct form for common weightlifting exercises
- A weekly newsletter with workout ideas, nutrition tips, and motivational quotes
- A monthly newsletter showcasing client success stories, new offerings, and upcoming events
Social Media Posts:
- A before-and-after post showing a client’s progress over 6 months of training
- A series of Instagram stories offering a behind-the-scenes look at a day in your life as a fitness professional
- An interview with a nutritionist discussing the importance of diet in fitness
- A discussion about the mental health benefits of regular exercise
- A live-streamed yoga class for beginners
- A webinar discussing the science behind muscle growth and how to optimize workouts for it
- A 30-day plank challenge with daily progress tracking and tips
- A 21-day clean eating challenge with meal plans and recipes
Remember, the goal of your content should be to educate, inspire, and engage your audience, while also demonstrating your expertise and the value of your fitness services or products.
How to Come Up With Fitness Content Ideas
Creating fresh, engaging fitness content regularly can be challenging, but here are some strategies to ensure you always have a stream of ideas:
1. Listen to Your Audience: Pay attention to the questions and comments from your clients and online followers. They can often provide a wealth of ideas for topics that you know your audience is interested in.
2. Monitor Trends: Keep up with the latest trends and developments in the fitness industry. Things like new workout routines, diet fads, or research findings can provide excellent content fodder.
3. Collaborate with Others: Team up with other professionals in your field, like nutritionists, physiotherapists, or even other trainers. Their unique perspectives can add depth to your content and provide fresh ideas.
4. Repurpose Content: If you have a piece of content that performed well, consider how you might repurpose it. Could a popular blog post be turned into a video tutorial, or a successful webinar be broken down into a series of blog posts?
5. Use Keyword Research: Use tools like Google Keyword Planner to identify what people are searching for in the fitness niche. This can help you tailor your content to what people are actively looking to find.
6. Leverage Personal Experiences: Share your personal experiences and stories. This can create authentic, relatable content that can resonate with your audience.
7. Address Common Misconceptions: Every field has its myths and misconceptions. Addressing these in your content can be informative and engaging for your audience.
8. Utilize Content Calendars: Content calendars can help you plan and organize your content creation process. You can align your content with special dates, seasons, or events relevant to the fitness world.
9. Take Advantage of User-Generated Content: Encourage your followers to share their fitness journeys, success stories, or favorite exercises. This not only engages your community but also provides you with potential content to share.
10. Create Challenges or Series: A fitness challenge or a content series can provide multiple pieces of content, while also encouraging ongoing engagement from your audience.
Remember, creating valuable fitness content consistently can help build your credibility, engage your audience, and ultimately grow your fitness business.
Understanding the fitness niche
Before you begin to write fitness content, it’s important to understand the niche. Fitness is a vast area that covers bodybuilding, weight loss, nutrition, endurance training, and more. It is important to understand your specific niche and audience. This helps you to tailor your content to their needs and preferences.
Identifying your target audience
Knowing your target audience is important, as their needs and preferences will differ depending on their age, gender, fitness level, and fitness goals. Whether your audience is a beginner who is just starting out or a seasoned fitness enthusiast, understanding their motivations, needs, and preferences will help you write content that resonates with them.
Staying updated with fitness trends and research
Staying ahead of the curve is crucial when it comes to writing fitness content. This means keeping up to date with the latest fitness trends and research. By staying informed, you can provide your audience with fresh insights, new workout routines, and healthy recipes. You can read industry-specific publications, follow social media accounts of fitness experts, and attend fitness conferences to stay abreast of all the latest trends.
Differentiating between various fitness goals
Fitness goals can vary widely. Some individuals may want to build muscle, lose weight, or improve their overall health and fitness. Understanding the different fitness goals will help you create content that is tailored to their specific needs. Knowing the science behind each goal, the exercise routines that work, and the nutrition advice that makes a difference will help you create content that is informative and engaging.
Choosing the right content format
One of the keys to creating great fitness content is to choose the right format. Different formats cater to different audiences and attention spans. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular formats.
Blog posts and articles
Blogs and articles are a great way to provide your audience with in-depth information on a specific topic. They allow you to go into detail and provide your readers with actionable advice and insights. They can be as long or short as you like, but they need to be well-written, informative, and engaging.
When writing a blog post or article, it’s important to keep in mind your target audience. Are you writing for beginners or experienced fitness enthusiasts? Are you providing tips on nutrition or workout routines? Understanding your audience will help you create content that resonates with them and keeps them engaged.
Additionally, using eye-catching headlines and images can help grab the reader’s attention and make your content stand out. Including personal anecdotes or success stories can also help make your content more relatable and inspiring.
Social media content
Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter are ideal for creating short-form content that is quick and easy to consume. From motivational quotes to short workout routines, social media offers a lot of opportunities to engage with your audience.
When creating social media content, it’s important to keep it visually appealing and on-brand. Use high-quality images and videos that showcase your fitness expertise and personality. Consider using hashtags to increase your visibility and reach a wider audience.
Engaging with your audience through comments and direct messages is also important. Responding to questions and feedback shows that you value your audience’s input and care about their fitness journey.
Videos are a great way to demonstrate exercises and workout routines. They also give you an opportunity to showcase your personality and style. Engage your audience by recording workouts, tutorial videos, or Q&A sessions.
When creating video content, it’s important to have good lighting and audio quality. Consider using a tripod or stabilizer to keep the camera steady and avoid shaky footage. Adding captions or subtitles can also make your content more accessible to those with hearing impairments or who speak different languages.
Don’t be afraid to show your personality and have fun with your videos. Adding humor or personal anecdotes can help make your content more engaging and relatable.
Read More: How do you start a fitness vlog?
Podcasts and interviews
If you are passionate about fitness, podcasts and interviews are a great way to share your expertise and insights. You can invite expert guests, discuss industry-specific topics, and offer your audience a unique perspective on all things fitness.
When recording a podcast or interview, it’s important to have good audio quality and a clear speaking voice. Planning out the topics you want to cover and preparing questions ahead of time can also help keep the conversation focused and engaging.
Consider promoting your podcast or interview on social media and other platforms to increase your reach and attract new listeners. Responding to listener feedback and questions can also help build a loyal audience and establish yourself as a fitness authority.
Crafting engaging and informative content
Writing fitness content that is both engaging and informative can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. With a little creativity and effort, you can write content that keeps your readers hooked. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
Writing attention-grabbing headlines
Your headlines are the first thing your readers see, so it’s important to make them both attention-grabbing and informative. Your headlines should be clear, concise, and provide your reader with a reason to click and read more. For example, instead of writing “The Benefits of Exercise,” try “10 Surprising Benefits of Exercise You Never Knew About.”
By using numbers and adding an element of surprise, you can make your headlines more attention-grabbing and increase the chances of your readers clicking through to read more.
Using storytelling techniques
Storytelling is a powerful tool that can bring your content to life. Use personal anecdotes and experiences to connect with your readers. Tell them about your fitness journey or share your struggles and triumphs. By doing so, you can create a sense of empathy and understanding with your readers.
For example, you could share a story about how you struggled with your weight for years and finally found success through a particular exercise program. By sharing your personal experience, you can inspire and motivate your readers to take action and make positive changes in their own lives.
Incorporating personal experiences and anecdotes
Don’t be afraid to share your own personal experiences and struggles with your readers. How did you get into fitness? What motivates you to stay on track? Personal stories can be a great way to provide your readers with inspiration and motivation.
For example, you could share a story about how you overcame a particular obstacle in your fitness journey, such as an injury or setback. By sharing your experience, you can show your readers that it’s possible to overcome challenges and achieve their goals.
Providing actionable tips and advice
Make your content actionable by providing specific tips and advice. Give your readers workouts they can do at home or tips on how to eat healthy on a budget. By doing so, you are providing real value to your readers.
For example, you could provide a list of healthy meal prep ideas that are both affordable and easy to make. By providing practical tips and advice, you can help your readers take action and make positive changes in their own lives.
In summary, crafting engaging and informative fitness content requires a combination of creativity, personalization, and practicality. By using attention-grabbing headlines, storytelling techniques, personal experiences, and actionable tips and advice, you can create content that resonates with your readers and inspires them to take action.
Ensuring accuracy and credibility
Accuracy and credibility are two of the most important factors when it comes to writing fitness content. It is crucial that the information you provide is correct, backed up by research, and easy for your readers to understand. Here are some additional tips to help you stay accurate and credible:
Citing reputable sources
One of the best ways to ensure accuracy and credibility in your fitness content is to cite reputable sources. Peer-reviewed studies, articles from respected publications, and expert opinions are all great sources of information that can help you back up your claims and provide valuable insights to your readers. When citing sources, be sure to give credit where credit is due and provide proper attribution.
For example, if you are writing an article on the benefits of strength training, you might cite a study from a respected scientific journal that supports your claims. This will help to establish your credibility as a writer and provide your readers with valuable information that they can trust.
Collaborating with fitness experts
Another great way to provide accurate and credible information to your readers is to collaborate with fitness experts. Personal trainers, nutritionists, and doctors are all great resources that can help you provide valuable insights and advice to your readers.
For example, if you are writing an article on the benefits of a plant-based diet, you might reach out to a nutritionist to get their expert opinion on the topic. This can help you provide more detailed and accurate information to your readers, while also establishing your credibility as a writer.
Fact-checking and proofreading
Before publishing your content, it is essential to fact-check and proofread your work. This will help you catch any inaccuracies or errors that could damage your credibility and make readers lose trust in you.
When fact-checking your work, be sure to double-check all of your sources and verify that the information you are presenting is accurate and up-to-date. When proofreading your work, pay close attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors, as well as any formatting issues that could make your content difficult to read.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your fitness content is accurate, credible, and informative. This will help you establish yourself as a trusted source of information in the fitness community and provide your readers with valuable insights and advice that they can use to improve their health and wellness.
How can I make my fitness content engaging and useful for my readers?
Creating engaging fitness content involves understanding your audience’s interests and fitness goals. Focus on providing actionable advice, share personal experiences, use clear and concise language, and incorporate visuals for clarity. Also, consider diversifying your content format to include not only written blogs but also videos, infographics, and podcasts.
What are some popular fitness topics I can write about?
Popular fitness topics can range from workout routines, fitness challenges, nutrition tips, recovery methods, fitness equipment reviews, to personal fitness journey stories. Keep up with current trends in the fitness industry and tailor your content to meet your audience’s needs.
How can I optimize my fitness content for search engines (SEO)?
Optimizing fitness content for SEO involves researching relevant keywords and incorporating them into your content, meta description, and title tags. Also, create high-quality, valuable content, use internal and external links wisely, and ensure your website is mobile-friendly.
How can I measure the success of my fitness content?
Success of fitness content can be measured by tracking metrics such as page views, time spent on page, bounce rate, social shares, and conversion rates (e.g., newsletter sign-ups, product purchases). Feedback from your audience through comments or messages can also provide valuable insights.
How can I monetize my fitness content?
Monetizing fitness content can be done through various methods such as affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, selling fitness products or services, offering paid subscriptions for premium content, or running ads on your website. Platforms like Exercise.com can also help you sell workout plans, run fitness challenges, create online fitness groups, and even sell fitness memberships through a custom-branded fitness app.
- How to Make Money Selling Workout Plans Online
- How to Run a Fitness Challenge
- How to Make a Fitness App
Start Writing Fitness Content Now
Writing fitness content can seem like a daunting task, but by understanding your niche and target audience, staying informed, and choosing the right format, you can create content that is engaging, informative, and accurate. Remember to provide actionable tips, use storytelling, and collaborate with experts to add credibility to your content. By following these tips, you can create fitness content that inspires, motivates, and engages your readers.
So, what are you waiting for? You only get better if you start.
Put in the work, and start writing!
Want to get seeing how Exercise.com can help you get started taking your fitness business to the next level with software? Get a demo now!